Ever thought of taking a women-only tour? If not, why not? It’s a wonderful, fun way to explore the world and have a few adventures without having to worry about all the minutiae of planning the trip yourself. And you may even come home with a new BFF.
Having learned about WanderTours because I joined the Santa Fe Culinary Tour and will soon be leaving for the New Orleans Culinary Tour, here’s my take on the subject based on personal experience:
- A Common Interest – Let’s face it, you’ve likely booked the tour because something in the itinerary jumped out at you and piqued your interest. It may be a culinary tour, an art tour, a wine-tasting tour or an adventurous trek through the Himalayas – whatever the focus, you’ve booked it because it appeals to you. That’s probably the situation for all or most of the tour participants. That means you’ll be traveling with a group of like-minded women. You already have a common interest to bond you!
- A Safe Environment – Many of the women on our tours are single, divorced, widowed or married to someone who doesn’t like to travel and they’re looking for a safe environment in which to travel.
- Friendship – Because the women are often traveling without their best friend or significant other they are happy to have someone to share their experiences with. Although the women on our tours come from widely divergent backgrounds, it’s amazing how often lifelong friendships develop. On the other hand, it can also be the perfect opportunity for a mother/daughter or sister trip!
- Adventure – Our Wanderlusters are looking for some adventure in their lives – we’re happy to provide opportunities for once-in-a-lifetime experiences! These may include a hike to Tiger’s Nest in Bhutan, a visit to an elephant sanctuary in Thailand or a Vespa ride through the night streets in Vietnam. Sometimes being in an unfamiliar environment frees you from your inhibitions, who knows, you may come home from your adventure with a new piercing or a tattoo!
- Focus on Women’s Issues and Stories – On a women-only tour, you’ll often find a focus on women and their role in the local culture. On our international tours we make a point of donating to a local organization, usually one which helps women and children overcome hardship in their lives.
- Respect & Caring – Sharing unfamiliar experiences, which are normally far outside those of your everyday lives, creates an atmosphere of caring. Respect for others on the tour develops when you realize that, depending on the situation, you each have differing comfort zones. After all, eating silkworms for lunch may not be everyone’s cup of tea! And that’s ok!
- Sharing – You thought you’d pack light but you reach your destination and realize that you’ve forgotten to bring any socks or only brought one shirt (for some unknown reason). Never fear…it’s a group of women you’re traveling with! Someone is sure to have an extra of whatever it is that you’re missing. Adventures aren’t the only things you’ll be sharing.
If you’ve contemplated the idea of taking a tour and think that it might be fun to travel with like-minded women, why not join us? WanderTours has plenty of adventures on offer and we may even have a surprise up our sleeve for 2015. Interested? Call us at 206-317-1860 or contact us via email.
Mountain Monastery: David Lazar