Now is the perfect time to visit Myanmar! One of the most mysterious and undiscovered countries in the world, this southeast Asian country was barred to outsiders for 20 years. Bordered by Bangladesh, India, China, Laos & Thailand and tucked between the Himalayas in the north and the Andaman Sea in the south, it’s a land of breathtaking beauty and charm.
Having only been accessible to tourists since 2010, the country has yet to be hit by mass tourism and western influences. You’ll find a traditional nation, barely touched by the homogenization that seems to have affected the rest of the planet. You won’t find McDonalds, KFC, Starbucks or 7-Eleven; instead you’ll find a nation with one foot still in the past. British Colonial architecture, snow-capped mountains, sparkling seas and pristine beaches are just some of the attractions. Ancient cities, amazing monuments and a rich history await you.
We are returning to this fascinating country in 2015 and expect our tour to sell out. What can you expect if you join us? Here are some of the highlights.
- Participate in a lamp-lighting ceremony at Shwedagon Pagoda (the most sacred Buddhist pagoda in Burma)
- Visit local markets and workshops
- Explore the temples of Bagan by car and on foot
- Take a boat ride on the Irrawaddy River
- Enjoy a traditional horse and carriage ride through historic Mandalay
- Visit the Saigaing Nunnery, where we’ll have the honor of serving lunch to the nuns through the WanderTours Giving Program
- Learn to cook Burmese-style in a hands-on cooking class
- Cruise peaceful Inle Lake
You may find that the biggest highlight of the trip is the people you meet along the way. Despite years of oppression, they are friendly, gentle and kind. If this tour appeals to you, give us a call (206-317-1860) or Contact Us via email and we’ll be happy to answer any questions you might have!