You may apply for a visa to Vietnam by mail or in person as early as six months prior to your date of travel. Procedure is as follows:
1. Download the Application form from the Vietnam Embassy website.
2. Fill up the form and attach 1 original 2 in. x 2 in. photo.
If you already have a visa approval, write the reference number on the top of the form. If you are coming in for less than 3 months and do not have visa approval, just leave “visa approval number” blank and the Embassy will take care of it.
3. Put the application form with attached photo together with your original passport in an envelope. (You have the option to request for a loose-leaf visa, which will only require copies of your passport pages with your photo and personal detail instead of the original passport with another 2 in. x 2 in. photo.)
4. Include visa fees in the form of MONEY ORDER, or CASHIER’S CHECK, or CERTIFIED CHECK payable to “THE EMBASSY OF VIETNAM.” Fee for stamping visa can be checked at the Consular office. You may request for information on other current fees (such as visa approval arrangement fee, processing fee, shipping, handling and expedite services) via email: email@example.com or call telephone number 202 – 861 – 0737.
5. Include a prepaid return envelope with tracking numbers if you want it returned by mail. For safety, the Embassy advices to use USPS – United States Postal Service (prepaid postage stamp envelope or return label bought online) or prepaid return FedEx label (also bought online).
If you are applying together with others, you may combine payment in one money order or certified check provide one envelope for visas to be returned to the same address.
Regular processing time is five business days. Expedited processing takes one to two business days after the Embassy has received the application. Keep the tracking numbers of the envelopes to and from the Embassy. When the above deadlines have passed, use the tracking number to check with the mailing service first. Do not make telephone inquires on the status of your application until after the 3rd business day for an expedited case and the 7th business day for a regular case.
If you’re a Canadian or U.S. citizen, you can get the Cambodia Visa on arrival at the airport in Siem Reap. It costs $35 US – in cash. You’ll need to bring: your passport, valid for at least 6 months; 1 passport photo; onward flight ticket (which your tour leader will have); and cash to pay for it. Easy!