Although there are a few countries whose nationals don’t require a visa to enter Tanzania, U.S. and Canadian citizens do require one. See visa requirements for each country here. While it is possible to acquire a visa on arrival, the U.S. embassy recommends that U.S. citizens obtain their visas before arriving in Tanzania to avoid potential delays at entry points. The validity of your visa begins on the date of issue, so don’t apply for it too many months in advance.
To obtain a Tanzanian visa US citizens will need: (Canadian citizens see the bottom of this page)
- A completed and signed application form. This form and other visa information can be found on the Tanzania Embassy website.
- A passport valid for at least six months after dates of travel. Ensure that you have at least three completely blank visa pages.
- Two recent passport-size photos
- A prepaid, self-addressed envelope to facilitate the return of your passport. It is recommended that you use Fedex or UPS.
- Proof of travel in the form of your flight itinerary, copy of your ticket, or copy of your tour operator receipt.
- The current fee for a visa is US $100 for a 12-month multiple-entry tourist visa for U.S. citizens.
Modes of payment accepted are:
- Money Order or Cashier’s Check.
- Company or Organization Checks
- Personal Checks – Should be accompanied by a copy of valid driver’s license or simply write the driver’s license number on the check
- Cash is NOT accepted.
- All checks and money orders should be made Payable to the Embassy of Tanzania, Washington DC.
- All credit cards accepted, EXCEPT AMERICAN EXPRESS. Please click here to download a form for credit card payment.
- N.B: Visa Fee is NON REFUNDABLE.
There are two visa processing centers in the USA:
Embassy of the United Republic of Tanzania
1232 22nd St. NW
Washington D.C 20037
Main Tel: (202)939-6125
Visa Info: (202)884-1085
Visa Processing Tel: (202)884-1092
Permanent Mission of the United Republic of Tanzania to the United Nations
307 East 53 street 4th, floor.
New York, NY, 10022.
TEL: 212-697 3612 Ext# 4 | FAX: 212-697-3618
Hours of Operation and Processing Time
- Visa processing hours are 9:00 am to 1:00 pm for submitting applications and 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm for picking up visas.
- Visa processing takes a minimum of five (5) working days for regular process.
- Rush service is available for an extra $20, which takes 3 working days.
- Next day service is an extra $50 and same day service is available for $100
- The duration to remain in the country is determined by the immigration officer at the port of entry.
- All visas are valid from the date of issuance. In the event a visa expires before it is utilized, the applicant will have to re-apply for a new one.
- Walk-in is available, no appointment necessary.